The Emergency Alert System will be tested this Sunday – 23rd April
What’s it all about?
On Sunday 23rd April, the government will be testing an Emergency Alert System. This means mobile phone and tablet devices across the UK will receive a test alert. Your mobile phone or tablet may:
- make a loud siren-like sound, even if it’s set on silent
- read out the alert
How to disable the alert – advice for those experiencing domestic abuse
West Cornwall Women’s Aid has shared information on how to disable the alerts for anyone experiencing domestic abuse and has a hidden second phone or tablet.
- Go to the settings app of the Android device
- Search for ‘Emergency Alerts’ using the search bar at the top of the screen
- Click or tap on the first option that pops up
- Once in the device’s Emergency Alerts settings page, turn off Emergency Alerts by pressing all the toggle buttons (blue means on, grey means off)
- Go to the settings app of the Apple device
- Scroll down to find and click or tap on the ‘Notifications’ tab
- Scroll all the way down again to find a dedicated section for Emergency Alerts
- You will see ‘Extreme Alerts’ and ‘Severe Alerts’ buttons, but this sometimes varies depending on which iPhone or Apple device you are using.
- To turn them off, press all the toggle buttons (blue means on, grey means off)