What you need to know about the planned road closures and parking restrictions
The Tour of Britain is coming to Penzance!
On Sunday 5 September 2021, Penzance will host the ‘Grant Depart’ for international cycling race, the Tour of Britain.
The Grand Depart will take place on the Promenade at 11am, with the riders battling to be first across the line at Bodmin in the afternoon.
It it the most prestigious road cycling race in the UK and is expected to provided a much needed economic boost to Penzance.
The Cornwall Stage of the Tour has been organised by SweetSpot and Cornwall Council. The traffic management plan for the event, including all road closures, has been organised by Cornwall Council’s Highways Team.
Friday 3 September:
- Western Promenade Road – closed from 4pm
- Green Street, Coinagehall Street, Battery Road – closed from 4pm
Saturday 4 September:
- Western Promenade Road – closed all day
- Green Street, Coinagehall Street, Battery Road – closed until 10pm
- Quay Street & Wharf Road to Ross Bridge – closed 8pm – 10pm (for the fireworks display)
- Bottom of Alexandra Road (from the roundabout on Western Promenade Road to the junction at Trewithen Road) – Closed from 7pm (residential access maintained)
Sunday 5 September:
- Western Promenade Road – closed until 6pm
- Green Street, Coinagehall Street, Battery Road – closed until 6pm
- Battery Road, The Quay, Wharf Road, Albert Street, Market Jew Street, Greenmarket, Alverton Street, Alverton Road, Penalverne Drive – rolling road closure from 10:30am – 11:30am (will re-open once the riders are through)
- Bottom of Alexandra Road (from the roundabout on Western Promenade Road to the junction at Trewithen Road) – closed until 6pm (residential access will stop from 8am)
Will car parks still be open?
All car parks in the town will be operating as normal with the following exceptions:
- St Anthony’s Car Park will be closed from Friday 3 September (at 4pm) – Sunday 5 September (at 8am). The car park will re-open on Sunday 5 September from 8am for disabled parking only.
- Wherrytown Car Park will be closed from Friday 3 September at 4pm – Sunday 5 September at 6pm
- The Harbour Car Park will be open but motorists must enter and exit the car park via the Bus Station entrance
My road will be closed – where can I park my car?
Affected residents have already been contacted by the race organisers with information about alternative parking. If you have not had this information please contact Cornwall Council – Tel: 0300 1234 222 | Email: [email protected]
Can I still access my home?
Residential vehicle access allowed via Alexandra Road to: Alexandra Place, Mennaye Road, Redinnick Place, Rosevale, and Alexandra Road only on 3 & 4 September (access will not be available on 5 September from 8am – 6pm)
I’m disabled – where can I park and watch the start of the race?
Disabled parking and designated viewing area is at St Anthony’s Car Park. The car park will be open from 8am on Sunday 5 September.
Extra toilet facilities will also be provided at the car park.
Where can I find out more information?